View Single Post
Old March 9, 2007, 10:29 PM   #29
HSMITH

Steve, thanks for the data, you did see this didn't you?
Quote:
The rifle FCD's are another story, they are actually a useful and viable tool. The following applies to the FCD in handgun cartridges.
I would also like to point out that your ammo got longer when we have been talking about setback or rounds getting shorter. Having a round get longer from chambering is a function of bullet pull when the bolt slams shut, it is acting like an inertial bullet puller, and nothing in this world other than crimping into a cannelure will stop that. The Lee FCD or the Redding Profile Crimp die will create a small cannelure when used aggressively, as you have seen from your test. If you have a real need to chamber the same round more than once or twice I would increase the crimp setting used in your test.

Benedict, I have an opinion on something you wrote. A new reloader is exactly who I would NOT recommend an FCD to. They will smash out most mistakes made in the preceeding steps, and a new reloader needs to KNOW when they have made a mistake and they need to KNOW why that mistake happened. Covering up the mistakes is something all of the preceeding posters I have seen state that they don't use it for, simply for 'insurance' in most cases. Covering up mistakes could lead to a serious problem, one much more serious than having a round not feed at the range.

Are you case gauging the ammo or just functional testing? The reason I ask is I do have ammo fail to case gauge, and it is nothing the die set can affect no matter what is used.

rwilson, I can only encourage you to try one despite the price. The price was hard for me to swallow on the first one too, but it lead to several more being bought. I too can make perfectly decent ammo with a standard Lee die set seating and crimping in the same operation and I have loaded tens upon tens of thousands of rounds that way, but the Redding die is just too good to ignore.

Thanks all for the discussion in civil tones and good spirit!

Page generated in 0.03184 seconds with 8 queries