View Single Post
Old June 27, 2002, 02:01 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

What do you need?

Get the MaxiBall from Lyman to simplify things. Why MaxiBall? Well, with roundball you have to consider several sizes and then figure out the patch and powder combination that works best for that particular size roundball. With the MaxiBall, you figure out what powder charge works best and you're good to go.

Second, get a powder measure and a powder flask or horn. An adjustable powder measure is best while you're trying to figure out what charge works well. Always load from the measure and never from the horn or flask. Don't want a handgrenade in your hand.

Third, with respects to post shooting servicing of your Deerstalker, get a jag, stuck ball puller and a worm. The jag is used for cleaning the bore after you're finished shooting. The worm (looks like a pig's tail made o' wire) is used to remove stuck patches. You also want to get a nipple wrench so as to be able to remove the nipple for cleaning.

Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Sight the gun so that it's dead on at 75 yards. Learn to hold over/under for longer and shorter distances.

BTW, I prefer blackpowder over pyrodex. Guess I'm old fashion but I like the smell of rotten eggs (blackpowder) over dirty socks (pyrodex). There's also Cleanshot (another substitute) that I have but haven't tried yet.

Page generated in 0.03417 seconds with 8 queries