View Single Post
Old May 27, 2007, 01:22 AM   #3
jssbastiat

the natives here use alot smaller rounds for moose and caribou

honestly, at least for caribou, a 175 grain bullet is way to big unless y ou've got mr. monster horns at 500lbs, which are really few and far between when it comes to the avg caribou in ak...some herds are big, some are small...but, mr. monster horns has THIN skin, thin ribs, so, you don't need much for him any way unless your going throughh a leg bone....and at 3600 fps, a 100 gr fmj will shatter a leg bone into gernade shrapnel....

i shot a caribou with a 175 grain this past winter and crap, ruined the hide...blew a big chuck out of it.l...

the 100 grain is moving so fast, over like 3600 ft per sec, and at 100 grains, it still a substantial weight, that when it hits a moose in the neck, it's going down....or if hit in the rib bones, the bone does the damage to the heart, lungs, etc.....

the natives here hunt with alot smaller...they knock moose down with A.K. shots to the neck all the time....and hunt the caribou with, at most, 223....lots of times .17's since they can use them on ptarmagin birds....yes, i know....sounds crazy, but true......i'm here and see it....I would not do it...

but thanks for the response!...

Page generated in 0.02583 seconds with 8 queries