View Single Post
Old March 22, 2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Sean,

That's sounds like a noisy power source. Possibly A.C. line noise, though it could be an unregulated adapter or a poorly regulated one. There are regulated D.C. output adapters made, assuming that is what that scale uses? Radio Shack sells them here in the U.S., but if you know any electronics cranks, they should be able to make one for you. A shielded isolation transformer can help, too. Short of that, it wouldn't hurt to try out a line filter if you can borrow one?

The two scales I have that I like really well are the CED pocket scale and the Acculab VIC123. The CED gives very stable and consistent readings and settles fast without any digit flicker. Despite its small size, it has a proper lab style 4-post load cell coupling to eliminate weight reading shift with sample location on the pan. So did the original D-terminator, but I don’t know about the newer one? The CED scale is described pretty well on RSI’s web site. Its main limitations are its 500 grain capacity, its square powder pan that has no pour spout (you need to use a funnel with it) and that it is battery operation only, so you can’t warm it up very long. It doesn’t seem to need to warm up, though. It has a built-in collapsible wind screen and a check weight in a mounting slot. It packs up into a compact little carrying case that I keep in my range load development box. If I use it inside that box, I can usually weigh successfully at the range despite light air movement.

The Acculab is a stripped down laboratory style scale sold by Sinclair International. It is plug-in only and must warm up. Indeed, as long as it is plugged in, it keeps applying power to the load cell 24/7, so you don’t have to warm it up again. It’s big attraction is that it has high sensitivity with 0.02 grain resolution and capacity of 1850 grains. It has a built-in calibration weight and a bunch of functions, like % difference for sorting. It is massive for a loading scale, has two draft screens, and a built-in level. Its limiting factors are that the wind screen lid won’t close on a standard height powder pan (the internal circular one will accommodate it with the lid screen up). It is proportionally more sensitive to drafts and static charge on the operator than a 0.1 grain resolution scale, and, being a stripped down version lab tool, it has no faraday shield. It is therefore sensitive to electrical noise.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03154 seconds with 8 queries