View Single Post
Old January 16, 2008, 11:44 AM   #21
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Cowart
what a great way to spend he time i should be sleeping!
Welcome to my world. I'm often up that late working.

Your point has some merit. Obviously, not every Japanese cutler spends 14 hours per day hammering steel over a charcoal fire. But many do, and more companies than you would guess. Google "The Japan Wood Worker" and peruse their kitchen knife section.

But back to the debate. I find that some knife users relate an odd circular logic. It goes something like this: "It's no point buying good knives, because my job/hunting is abusive. The blades on these knives go dull faster than a good knife, so it does no good to sharpen them (or I do not know how to sharpen.) Since I need to cut material, I use serrated blades. They work when abused. Why abuse a good, well cared for knife, so I buy a cheap knife..."

I still hold to my argument. Below is a 12 dollar knife featured in The Japan Wood Worker Catalog. Primarily, it is to be used in a woodworking shop, sometimes used to score a line. Trust me, it can take all of the abuse you can throw at it.

For this debate, I sharpened it to a mirror finish, obviously, no serrations. I shall include this knife for inspection at my stand.

As you know, later today I will meet with the sous-chef that borrowed my white steel knife. Remember, it costs around 50 bucks--nothing special--many of you buy Benchmades for several times that amount. My gues is that the sous-chef will relate that this knife "cut everything in the place--their sharpest knife ever." All you need is to use a tool properly.

Here's the 12 dollar knife:

Page generated in 0.05917 seconds with 8 queries