View Single Post
Old August 5, 2014, 11:46 AM   #32
gyvel

My first two firearms were a No. 1 Mk III* Lee-Enfield and a Berthier M1916 carbine that my dad shipped home from France in 1945. He was billeted in a chateau in France and discovered a whole room full of all kinds of weapons in a basement storeroom, probably a resistance cache.

He had a German POW trustee working for him who suggested that, if he wanted to send a couple home, he would make a box for him. My dad said "OK" and told the POW to pick a couple. Well naturally, the German didn't pick a nice 98k Mauser; He picked two "enemy" rifles.

Anyway, after the box was shipped home, my dad got a little worried about it and sent a letter to my uncle (his brother-in-law) to be real careful when opening it because of the possibility of a booby trap.

The sad part of it is that, at one time many years ago, I happened on the capture papers, and told my mother to hang on to them as I was in a transition move and not in a position at that time to take them. Sometime between then and their final move to AZ the papers were lost.

I still have both rifles.
SIFE

Page generated in 0.04144 seconds with 8 queries