View Single Post
Old August 28, 2012, 10:57 PM   #127
Quizcat

I believe there are basically two things that contribute to most modern day polymer firearms receiving complaints. I believe they are mostly issues that are ergonomic to the shooter, or ammo incompatibility related.

I believe that because Taurus is quite a bit less expensive, they are purchased by a disproportionate number of novice shooters, often poor, as in little money to spend, compared to the more expensive brands.

Novices are not experienced enough to thoroughly evaluate a firearm for proper function, nor are they patient enough in determining just exactly what is causing their problems. They are quick to make assumptions about how a firearm should react, even though they have no experience to accurately assess what's going on.

My apologies to you that are wealthy, highly experienced, and have purchased Taurus firearms and still had problems. You are the minority in a sea of novices. You are not the source of the bogus complaints. But, IMHO, they are.

In my own case, with respect to the mag release button inadvertently releasing on my Taurus PT140, it was "MY" thumb that was hitting the button. That is not a defect, but rather a design that is contrary to my grip of the firearm, and resulting from my own stubborn refusal to modify my grip of the firearm to accommodate the mag release button.

Being of the impatient group, I was ready to dismiss the PT140 myself, and join the ranks of "dis-satisfied" Taurus bashers. But, the ergonomics of the PT140 is absolute heaven, and has no equal. And, that caused me to spend a little more time with the firearm, and to give it my thorough consideration, evaluating all aspects, not only it's performance, but comparing it's range of features as well.

Because my Taurus PT140 has been so dependable, the function so consistent with respect to no FTE, no FTF, over 1200 rounds through it so far, and because they are feature rich, rather than dismiss it over the mag release button issue, I opted to simply move the mag release to the opposite side of the frame. It was a very simply fix, and it took less than two minutes.

It has never inadvertently released a magazine since, which is conclusive evidence that my problem with the mag release was induced by the shooter (me), and not a defect in the firearm.

When I compare all the numerous "pros" against the few "cons" with respect to the overall performance of the Taurus PT140, it is exceptional, or at least on par, in comparison to other models that are $150 more expensive.

Last edited by Quizcat; August 28, 2012 at 11:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.02259 seconds with 8 queries