View Single Post
Old June 17, 2001, 11:34 AM   #16
Joe Portale

Dave Willie,

I agree with you. From time to time, I'll kill some time and watch the bench rest guys do their thing at the local range. It is amazing what they bring with them. One guy has a chart with load data based on temperature, relative humdity, phase of the moon and tides. And thier rifles cost more than a good used car. The goal is to put three rounds close together as possible at 100 and 200 yards from a rest. Ya' know what...I can do that with my Garand and give these guys a run for thier money. Once, as an experiment in the effects of a hot barrel, I put 100 rounds through the same 3/4" diamtere hole at 100 yards using the Garand.

For me, I believe that consistency is more important than tenths or hundreths of a grain of powder, bullets or case volume. Of course, one can tighten things up by customizing the ammo through hand loading and other mechanic means. The question is when does the quest for extreme accuracy get to the point of diminishing returns?

I guess it does not matter what others do. If they want to go to extremes in what they do, it is their business. If it makes them happy, that is all that really matters.

Joe

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul

Page generated in 0.03036 seconds with 8 queries