View Single Post
Old April 12, 2011, 09:07 AM   #8
Slamfire

If you are bedding a Ruger, maybe my experience can give you some ideas on how to procede.

Bedding a Ruger with that awful angled front action screw was much more difficult and involved than any Mauser, M70 I have ever done.

That Angled front action screw did nothing to keep the action from sliding around in the awful factory bedding.

Drilling the hole was a pain as I had to spend too much time getting the correct angle.

Here I have a column of Grey Brownell's steel bed in the front action screw hole. Notice just how sloppy the front recoil inletting. This is factory bedding.

I pillar bedded the front and back screw holes and routed out a lot of wood. Here is what is left of the wood around the column of glue in the front screw hole.

Because this was a science experiment, I wanted to see how this "pillar" bedding worked. The white is Tex Marine two part epoxy and the gray is the Brownell's steel bed for the front screw pillar.

I see no advantage to the angled fore end screw other than advertising, and it is just a pain to work around when bedding the action.

The rifle just shot great when done. Now I wish the bedding job did not look like peanut butter spread all over, but I can live with it fot the time being. When the barrel gets shot out, I am going to look around for a stock with a much higher comb, and pay someone to bed it.

And since that work won't be free , it better look more professional than what I did.

Page generated in 0.03472 seconds with 8 queries