View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 04:31 AM   #10
Bongo Boy

A couple of follow-up points, then.

Over the years many debates occur over the relative merits and, especially, relative safety of various handgun mechanisms. In all cases, it's fair to say that while different scenarios can be imagined that will defeat the different mechanisms, the fact is, there are no modern firearms designs where the gun can be discharged, by any means, without pressing the trigger. So, accidental discharges are in reality unintended trigger presses by an operator, or accidental engagement of the trigger by something.

This is true for all designs I'm familiar with due only to the striker (or firing pin) block I mentioned. The only mechanism accessible from the outside of the weapon to move that block out of the way of the firing pin (or striker) is the trigger. There is simply no way the cartridge primer can be struck without the trigger being pressed rearward.

That said, there is still a debate over the safety of the gun when there is no additional mechanism to prevent an unintentioned trigger press. This is where the external or 'thumb' safety comes into play. Here, assuming such a safety has been set (it has to be set intentionally by the operator), the trigger CAN'T be pressed rearward at all by any means, unless the safety is intentionally released, generally by flipping a level downward with the strong hand thumb.

Trained and/or informed shooters rely first and foremost and always on the fundamental rule that the trigger finger is NEVER on the trigger until you're ready to fire. 'Ready to fire' means your weapon is aimed at a target, or at least pointed at whatever it is you intend to shoot. EDIT: I should probably have said that 'ready to fire' means that all would be well if weapon discharged right now. So, if the finger is on the trigger then by definition all would be well if the gun discharged.

The external safety is an additional measure that can be taken, but it isn't as reliable as a deeply ingrained habit--the trigger ISN'T where your finger goes when you hold a gun, it's where it goes when you're shooting one.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; January 26, 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Page generated in 0.03884 seconds with 8 queries