View Single Post
Old December 6, 2012, 08:39 AM   #114
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by OuTcAsT: I consider someone who has already broken in my home as an immediate dangerous threat. He/they could be after my TV, or my Wife or Granddaughter, or one of my Sons. I am not gonna discuss his intentions with him/them.

Outside my home, I will try and avoid a confrontation if at all possible, Inside, no such "benefit of doubt" exists.
Of course. That is the basis of the principles of the castle doctrine, which were long rooted in ancient common law.

It means that you are afforded a legal presumption that the intruder presents an imminent threat of serious harm to the occupants, sufficient to justify the lawful employment of deadly force. It does not mean that your mission is to search and destroy, or to effect capture. Nor does it imply that the intruder constitutes a "target" until he presents himself as one.

Quote:
I cited Dwight55 and 481. A combat veteran, and a veteran LEO. I think either qualify as "experts" in this arena.
No, not in this "arena." You seem determined to continue confuse the role of the home defender with those of persons engaged in in combat or law enforcement.

The duties of sworn officers and those of combat soldiers differ markedly from the responsibilities of the civilian defender.

The sworn officer's team must find and apprehend a suspect, and put him in custody. The soldier's team must destroy the enemy's ability to fight. While due caution will be exercised and we hope that neither will be harmed, both duties must take precedence over their own personal safety. Should either be hurt or killed, his or her fellow officers or fellow squad members will replace them and perform their duties. And of course, we will recognize them for valor after the fact.

The civilian defender has no responsibility to find an invader and shoot him or to arrest him. His sole responsibility is to defend his family. Should he killed or seriously injured, there is no one to immediately replace him. He has the valuable luxury of letting the threat come to him.

Thus, the battle analogies and house-clearing tactics are not applicable here, and someone who has engaged in one or the other is not automatically considered an expert in home defense.

Quote:
Also, you keep using the word "saferoom" There is a huge difference in a Saferoom and an ordinary Bedroom like the ones found in the average stick house, consult your experts on this subject.
The discussion at hand is whether it is better to defend from a saferoom, if getting everyone into one is possible under the circumstances, or to go somewhere and expose oneself to danger with the hope of "defending the high ground." The vast majority of the recognized experts in the subject of hole defense advise the former.

Page generated in 0.02613 seconds with 8 queries