View Single Post
Old January 27, 2009, 07:42 PM   #55
BlueTrain

After thinking about the problem of illegal hunting in some national parks, I concluded that it was likely people were entering the park (Shenandoah, in this case) and hunting after dark but during hunting season. If they were successful, they could, I suppose, claim to have killed it legally somewhere else and therefore could keep the deer.

Now, concerning other remarks I made in this thread earlier, I want to clear up a few things. I think I made mention of referring specifically to Shenandoah Park when I said I'd prefer there not be guns there. I am perfectly aware it is legal in certain other national parks, including all parks in Alaska, to be armed. No doubt it would even be recommended in Alaska. But in that case we are talking long arms, or I would assume so. None of my handguns would fill me with confidence in Alaska, though some I have owned would make me feel better.

Frankly, it isn't so clear cut, the issue of being armed in certain places. There are arguments to be made on both sides, some strong, some weak, but the certain places include not only national parks but churches, bars, the courthouse, your workplace, schools, and so on. My wife claims that having a gun at school (she's a schoolteacher) would be too tempting but I think she was pulling my leg.

Sometimes having a gun may be a good thing but it can also provide a false sense of security. But make no mistake. Parks are concerned about the safety of visitors, especially of those who visit the backcountry, such as it is in places like Shenandoah. Not that they do so much about it.

Other parks in other places are clearly different from the wilds that the East has. It doesn't follow that all parks have to have the same rules. They don't now. They pretty much all make up their own rules, sometimes, apparently, as they go along. But in most places here in Virginia (not just Northern Virginia, either--I'm an immigrant anyway--from West Virginia) I feel pretty safe whether or not I'm in a park. But then I feel pretty safe in D.C., too, mostly. I do use a little common sense, though, and I'm make it OK so far.

So the bottom line is, if you want to carry, go ahead. I probably won't run into you anyway. I'm getting on in years and I don't make it up there so much anyway (now that I've got that senior citizen's pass) and I don't make it down to 14th Street so much anymore either. Why, we're almost old enough to get a Harley and join the gangs that cruise Skyline Drive. But where shall we go now that Jimbo's closed?
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.03758 seconds with 8 queries