View Single Post
Old October 5, 2005, 09:07 AM   #5
Sarge

Hey Hoot,

If I am not mistaken B&D is long defunct. This was a pretty common conversion during the 70's, and was written up in several gun rags from that period. IIRC it was also common to simply take an N-frame S&W .357, since it was on the ".44 frame" anyhow, and simply rechamber the factory cylinder for the B&D round. This theoretically allowed the user to switch back to conventional .38/.357 with the simple addition of another cylinder. While N/.357 cylinders are still to be found (e-bay), there's a little more to it than that. For best accuracy and function, the crane, cylinder and ratchet should be fitted to the individual gun. "Plug in" parts, they are not.

What's it worth? Depends on whether or not you are a collector of 1960-70 wildcat revolvers. To me, it would be worth substantially less than a bone-stock gun of the same configuration- because I'd have to have S&W fit a new, stock cylinder. But that's just me.

You friend has an interesting (and possibly collectible, if the 'smith doing the conversion can be confirmed) piece of firearms memorbilia there.

Page generated in 0.03620 seconds with 8 queries