View Single Post
Old April 11, 2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Sevens

I agree that the Lyman 55's hopper seems to be smaller than most.

I try to deal with that by filling it after each tray that I charge, no matter how many in the tray or the charge weight.

I figure (and I'm more than willing to learn here if my thought process is faulty) is that because I'm not using a powder baffle, I want the powder weight on top of the measure to be as consistent as possible.

Obviously, the taller and larger the hopper, the more consistent the weight on the measuring chamber should be.

The reason I do not use a baffle? I've never taken the time to make one... Uncle Nick has often posted great templates for baffles, but I've not bothered with making one. Further, I believe a baffle in my measure will make it more annoying work to empty the measure when I'm done with a session or done with a particular powder.

Couple that with the fact that I'm thrilled with the consistency and performance I get from my Lyman 55 without a baffle, and there you have it.

Bottom line -- while I too agree that the hopper could & should be larger, I simply top it off EVERY time I charge one whole tray of brass, no matter the caliber or charge weight. Seems to be quite consistent.

Not too much hassle to pour powder between each tray.

Page generated in 0.03175 seconds with 8 queries