View Single Post
Old June 19, 2013, 07:51 PM   #8
stubbicatt

JIMR40, I have always used pressure ring measurements as a gage to ascertain when I am approaching max pressures, by comparing factory ammo measurements to new brass measurements, with my loads fired in it. This is my "Do not exceed" measurement.

Do I understand you to suggest that a chronograph is a measure of max pressure? Aside from the differences in barrel length from the firearm in which the publisher obtained its data, there are many vagaries in chamber dimension, bore diameter, etc., which would make me reluctant to use a velocity as a measure of maximum safe pressure.

Mehavey, without resorting to custom sizing dies, how do I resize for the shoulder on this rimmed case? I mean, if the shoulder were only blown forward say .004" as one might find on a loosely chambered, modern sporting rifle, chambering a rimless cartridge, I can follow you just fine. Here, in rifles with very long chambers, which headspace on the rim, which often exhibit shoulders blown .1 to .2 inches forward, there is no way I am aware of to use a conventional FL die to bump the shoulder without squeezing everything out the side, where the die cannot touch the case. This will prevent the cartridge from chambering again. --Please share with me what you have learned.

Thanks all for your input and your learning.

Page generated in 0.03287 seconds with 8 queries