View Single Post
Old April 7, 2013, 05:25 AM   #14
sfmedic

There are times to have fun and times to be deadly serious. I call it the training tempo. depends on the subject and also depends on those that are sitting in front of you.

In the back of mine or any instructors mind MUST be the realization that if the guns come out in the real world then the death of one or the other is a real probability.

and not in a hollywood rambo macho BS kinda way with no repercussions, lets go have a beer after this fight is over way - in the real way - back of the police car , children losing a parent, funerals and hearses, lawsuits and lives wrecked way.

I have had quite a few of my students over the years come up and tell me about their gunfights and how they used what was taught by me or one of my crew to come out on top. I have been told how they killed someone using what i taught them . so I think - cool

then I think hmmmmmm I'm directly responsible for someones death or on the flip side for someones life. I have been in the back of a police cruiser when I came out on top but still despite the bravado it really really really sucked bad when I heard over the radio the kid died (he didnt actually but thats another story).

but despite the seriousness i still make a point to have training as enjoyable as possible when i can, because it helps in retention and insures students pursue their shooting more often.

as to teaching women - i have said it before - give me a woman with nothing to prove over a macho guy who know it all any day.

I think most instructors would agree.

IF anything when we do mixed classes the problems are not the ladies fault. Its the guys trying to make an impression that are the problem.

Or.... its an instructor who is treating a lady differently (pet peeve #528) I HATE it when they give extra attention or "assume" for some unknown reason that the "girls" need more help. I know that most girls hate it too - 90% of the time you can tell they just dont want to be singled out.

I also hate the little ole me, shrinking violets , blink blink, prim girls that encourage that behavior. its a distraction

Last edited by sfmedic; April 7, 2013 at 07:22 AM.

Page generated in 0.04585 seconds with 8 queries