View Single Post
Old March 21, 2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Todd1700

Second Bird Down

Killed my second of the season this morning. I first set up on a bird that only gobbled 2 times on the limb. Had drawn him in just over the crest of a hill from a little clearing they love to strut in. I was expecting to see his head any minute. Had my gun up, safety off and....all of a sudden 4 bucks just stampeded through between me and the gobbler like they had been scalded by something. Never seen or heard that bird again. While I was fooling with that bird however I kept hearing two birds gobbling together out a old logging road that ran out of the back of the little clearing I was set up on. So I went out it and got as close as I dared; set up and started calling. They would gobble sporadically but not really hot. They eventually kept moving further and further off. Finally I hadn't heard them for a while so i picked up my Lynch box call and worked it pretty loud. A bird thundered out to my right about 70 to 80 yards away. I got ready and waited. I was scared to make a move to get a slate or box so I yelped to him on a Double D mouth yelper (yes I'm trying to use one this year) and he gobbled way closer and directly in front of me. In just a minute I saw him moving fast from left to right. When he passed an opening at 25 steps I nailed him with a load of Hevi-13's. Tale of the tape 17lbs 15oz, 1 inch spurs both sides, 10 inch beard.

Page generated in 0.03489 seconds with 8 queries