View Single Post
Old March 23, 2013, 10:17 PM   #12
Beagle333

Quote:
Mold preheated ???
Always. I even preheat my round ball molds now. I like getting keepers on the first pour.
-------------------------
Quote:
alloy temp ???
That's a guess...... I had the Lee pot set on 8-1/4 on the dial. But since it has worked nicely for everything I have cast so far, I haven't bothered taking my nice shiny new Rotometals thermometer out there and actually measuring it yet. I do know it's pretty hot though, because I do sometimes have to back off when using my Mihec molds to keep the frosting down to a minimum.
It seems like when they get overly frosted, they actually get smaller and I lose some definition of the edges. I like em best when they are just starting to show any frost.
-------------------------
Quote:
Casting pace ???
I was really aiming for one pour every 14 seconds. I read that a lot on castboolits as recommended as the perfect pace and I was using that as my guide. It's not as easy when casting with a ladle and also using a double cavity manual pin-style mold, but I kept it close. With this alloy, I can also tell when I'm getting too fast and the mold is getting too hot, because the sprue starts shattering like glass instead of just falling off when I cut it.
--------------------------
Quote:
Did ya burn ya fingers lookin at the first few ???
Nope!
I only cull when I'm finished, unless I just happen to see a really bad one or two while I'm waiting for a fresh ingot to melt and refill the pot.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Page generated in 0.04391 seconds with 8 queries