View Single Post
Old June 15, 2008, 12:58 PM   #7
RsqVet

From what a safe tech told me the issue is this:

Many contain fire cement which holds moisture like any cement will. The tihgt sealing doors tend to lock it in.

This is an issue that can be worked around with proper care as others have mentioned; and I have seen many guns stored in these things for years with good luck. Problem is somewhere a bonehead will put a bone dry colt saa in one, hide it in a basement, and lock the door for 2 years and wonder what happened.

If we are talking the new office depot / home depot quality ones then as to security it's almost non-existant they can be moved and or breached in place very, very easily. They also break very easily and ahve ppor quality locks and crasftsmanship.

For the qulity of the floor safes that are sold they should be at msot 100 bucks not what the depots want for them. were I you I'd save my money go to surpus sales and store liquidations... every store has a safe and it's offten the cheapest and last thing sold due to the PIA it is to move... yet I ahve moved 3 one that was close to 1200 pounds with a u-haul and a hand truck --- use a come along to winch it up the uhaul ramp or own a landscape traielr .

I know this because several places I work use them as narcotics safes and every so offten they break and we have to breach them... not a challange.

Page generated in 0.03102 seconds with 8 queries