View Single Post
Old April 14, 2013, 07:49 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Okay, so the issue isn't about collecting the data, which are and will be available, but crunching the data. Got it. If the data are crunched, you probably want to see the results not just end up in the thesis or dissertation. Is that right as well?

Here is a brief bit of prognostication. Assuming the work is completed (not all graduate students complete their degrees, of course), the result will show no change in crime rates. The only possible positive crime impacts that come out of the data will be to show that households with firearms could have (and maybe did) use a firearm for self defense and maybe used it successfully to protect the given household.

If any changes in crime rates are detected, there will be such a lack of controls in the study that the change in crime rate cause will be undeterminable and attributing the changes to guns will be exceptionally naive.

The problems will stem from the fact that the shotguns distributed will not be carried around with people. So only the homes are protected. This will not stop crime literally out on the street such as drug transactions, drug violence, rape in the neighborhood park, muggings, etc.

Maybe I am wrong and the study can show something positive about guns and crime rates, but based on previous TFL discussions, I don't think this will be the case. If it does, it ia a big plus for us, but if it can't establish this link or concludes that the presence of guns known to be in such neighborhoods actually failed to lower crime rates, what then?

Page generated in 0.03979 seconds with 8 queries