View Single Post
Old January 24, 2009, 03:28 PM   #159
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Take any example you want where FTF must go through a NICS check, the criminal has not been stopped.
He has been stopped from buying that firearm unless the seller is willing to commit a felony. I am assuming most wouldn't be.

Quote:
Why, again, are we even entertaining this? other than for strictly political pandering?
In that case why have a background check at all? I know many might say; hear hear! but I think joe citizen wouldn't be happy with that.

I think there is some larger responsibility here that many of us think is necessary with firearms and so the background check (albeit with accurate data and easy of use technologically) is a way to realize some of that responsibility. I might some day want to sell some of my firearms, and I for one would not want to sell a gun even unknowingly to a nut or a crook but without the background check how would I know? This responsibility is something that might have been taken for granted years ago but no longer.

However, keeping with the OP I am assuming that the backgound check is something necessary to public safety and is not in question on this thread.

PS Al, how do you get your quotes to say "originally posted by XXX" do you just type that in or is there an auto feature to do that?

Page generated in 0.02643 seconds with 8 queries