View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013, 11:02 PM   #40
btmj

Jammer, I understand what you are saying, and in many ways I agree.

If I want to get training on how to use all the different types of fire extinguishers, I don't want the instructor to waste a lot of time talking about the dangers of over-loaded outlets, improperly stored chemicals, and smoking in bed... I want to know the mechanics of fighting a fire with each of the different types.

If I take a class on making pastries, I don't want to be lectured on the health risks of butter. I want to know how to make pastries.

If I and my wife take a handgun class, it will be to improve our skills and to make our practice sessions more value-added. I would want a class focused on drawing from concealment, acquiring the sight picture, how to quickly identify cover and concealment, how (and if) to shoot while moving, shooting from awkward positions, etc.

As long as the class we sign up for is clear on what will be covered, I can make an informed decision. A class focused on recognizing and difusing/avoiding conflicts/threats is not an un-ethical class. It is just a different kind of class, and one I would not want to take.

In other words, I don't think the instructor's class curriculum is a matter of ethics. It is just a matter of options.

Jim

Page generated in 0.03535 seconds with 8 queries