Thread: Sig 226 vs 229
View Single Post
Old September 6, 2012, 05:20 PM   #31
geetarman

Quote:
Funny about the spring not being able to go in backwards. Amen.
I had quite a problem with that.

I bought the SIG and then about a week later, I am over at the same LGS and they must know I had a zero balance on my card

I saw this nice looking Smith and Wesson 1911 and asked to see it.

It happened to be a 1911E. So. . .I bought it.

Took it home and field stripped it to get ready to go to the range.

I noticed the recoil spring had quite a bit of resistance coming off and looked at the manual and it said the open end of the recoil spring goes on the guide rod first. So that is what I did.

Went to the range and the gun just would not run. I go home and call a service center in California and told them what was going on.

I asked them about the recoil spring because I am thinking the resistance of the closed end being forward, the slide was slowing down and the gun would not cycle.

I asked them about that and they said the manual is wrong. . .the recoil spring goes on with the closed end toward the trigger. I did that and have not had a failure since.

Funny thing though. . . one of the guys I see at the range a lot has the very same model gun and I asked him how his runs. He trotted out a whole bunch of recoil springs trying to find one that would enable the gun to run.

He had not been able to get one magazine to run completely through the gun without a stoppage.

I asked him if he cleaned the gun before he shot it the first time and he said yes.

I asked him which way he installed the recoil spring.

"Like the manual says" was his reply.

He had the gun there and we turned the spring around and he hasn't had a failure since either.

Did I mention he has a supply of recoil springs

I now have had that drilled into my brain, but I do like the way SIG designed theirs.

Live and learn.

Carpe Cerveza

Page generated in 0.02146 seconds with 8 queries