View Single Post
Old March 29, 2013, 07:22 AM   #30
Waspinator

I've been hanging around here for a few month learning things and I know I don't have much say in this, as I don't have my permit yet. In fact I'm going to a class in 3 weeks. But I find it interesting to read what people are thinking about us "newbies".

I never shot a handgun before. I have shot some rifles and I own a shotgun that I go to the range with once in a while (clays and sometimes slugs). So, where I may have a handle on range rules, I have no idea how I will do when it comes to handguns. In CT you are required to take a class in order to get your gun permit/ccw permit (all-in-one permit).

Anyway... while looking for a class to take, I noticed that most of these trainers held classes with 20-30 people in it. I think that is outrageous to try to "train" that many people in a 7 to 8 hour class (classroom and range). Not to mention that these people get charged on average $150 to take this class. These "classes" are just a "wink and a nod" type deal if you ask me.. you pay them, you go through the motions and you get you paperwork for the state.

I think it is a responsibility of the person who is trying to get the permit to choose wisely if they actually want to learn anything. There are instructors out there that will only hold small class sizes (up to four max) or even only one-on-one classes. I would think 8 hours with 1 to 4 persons would net better results then 8 hours with 30 people.

So, for myself.. I wanted to actually learn something. I signed up for a very small class with an instructor with a credential list a mile long. He specifically states that he focuses on safety, law, understanding of handguns and how they work. he also will make sure you have proper shooting technique with both revolvers and semi-autos, in at least 3 calibers while at the range. I hope I did good in my choice and will find out in 3 weeks!.

Page generated in 0.01961 seconds with 8 queries