View Single Post
Old August 21, 2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Vireye

Looking at a Couple SAA's

Hi all. Long time reader for advice, finally registered to actually ASK a few questions.

I've always wanted a SA revolver, and I've been looking at a few. I know asking "Which is best?" is a loaded question, so in this case I'm looking more for personal opinions/debate.

I've narrowed it down to either .45LC or .357 (.45 for the 'tradition', .357 for the cost...I'm still going back and forth on this)

Here's where the real question lies. I'm looking at either a 4 5/8 Ruger New Vaquero, or a 4 5/8 Cimarron Model P.

The Cimarron seems like the more faithful reproduction. That being said, I do like the idea of being able to carry six rounds in the Ruger...

What are the differences, besides the obvious transfer bar? Honestly if that's the only difference, I'll take the loss on historical accuracy to carry the sixth round, and have the Ruger reliability that, from what I've heard, has reached near-legendary status with their SAA's.

This is mostly a "fun gun", but I will occasionally carry it. Can't be much different than the 4-inch S&W 686+ I used to carry...

A couple other factors. I plan to get a set of custom grips with my unit's crest on them, so the factory grips aren't really a concern. I also really like the look of the case-hardened SAA's...I saw its available for the Cimarron's, but I don't know the quality. If I went with Ruger, I'd likely send it out to Turnbull and have it done ($150).

Last edited by Vireye; August 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

Page generated in 0.02665 seconds with 8 queries