View Single Post
Old May 1, 2012, 03:44 PM   #8
gunsmokeTPF

It's not all that important whether, or not the rifle is 1st, or 2nd year production, since it's very early and pre 98. Petahw showed very good observation regarding the receiver. The 30-30 and 32 win was a common calibre where others like 38-55 are a bit more scarce.

The shotgun butt also is seen less than the crescent style, but being a takedown could almost double it's value. This rifle has all the bells and whistles that people just love to have, but like I said before the originality and condition is a very important factor when determining it's value.

Without that letter you can't even determine the year of manufacture. My trapper's serial#88xxx in the Bluebbok indicates 1894, but in my letter it was actually mfg in 1898. The $2000 estimate would probably be a good one if winchester didn't do the changes, but is low if it is in fact original. The other rifle pictured for $1300 is a standard version with a tang sight and comes nowhere near the one you have. All opinions you get on this thread certainly have value, but won't be the final say.

Last edited by gunsmokeTPF; May 2, 2012 at 09:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.02352 seconds with 8 queries