View Single Post
Old February 24, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
divemedic

Attacks, CCW, and the Law

As a part time job, I teach adult education classes as a private contractor. What I do is hold seminars and classes on a contract/fee basis for various companies, churches, and private groups. Many of these are done late at night.

Last week, when leaving one of my classes, a female student was robbed and beaten on the way to her car. This particular site was located in the south side of Orlando, a city which is now the 18th most dangerous city in the US.

Florida law states that the following places (among others) are off limits to concealed carry:

Quote:
any school administration building; ... any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility
When giving a seminar, the places I teach are not elementary or secondary schools (these are for K-12), nor are they colleges or Universities (My classes do not grant college credit).

Nor do I feel like they are career centers, as the law in other places defines a career center in specific terms. For example:

Quote:
475.451 Schools teaching real estate practice.--

(1) Each person, school, or institution, except approved and accredited colleges, universities, community colleges, and career centers in this state, which offers or conducts any course of study in real estate practice,

or this one:

Quote:
which shall include a 15-hour National Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice course from a nationally recognized or state-recognized appraisal organization, career center, accredited community college, college, or university, state or federal agency or commission, or proprietary real estate school that holds a permit pursuant to s. 475.451.
The law here clearly holds career centers, colleges, etc., to be distinct and different from people, schools, and institutions.

I am wondering just how much leeway there is in this.

Page generated in 0.02466 seconds with 8 queries