View Single Post
Old January 29, 2008, 04:43 PM   #18
Bitmap

There are plenty of revolvers capable of taking deer at 100 yards. Any S&W M29 or M629, or X-frame. Any Ruger Redhawk, Super Redhawk, or Blackhawk in an appropriate caliber.

The question is not whether the handgun is accurate enough. The question is are you accurate enough.

Lot's of practice. Some people may not be able to do it even with lot's of practice. Especially older folks whose eyes aren't what they used to be.

I've shot one deer with a handgun. One round at 92 yards with an iron-sighted M500 S&W. No, a .500 isn't needed on deer, but I shot very well with that particular handgun. No doubt the long sight radius and very nice trigger helped. Typical groups at 100 yards are 4" to 6" for 3 rounds. Not like shooting a rifle, but it's good enough for deer, at least if they are in the open.

I'd suggest whichever brand of revolver you like in .44 Magnum or .454 Casull and lots of practice. After a little while you'll find out just how far you can shoot well enough to kill a deer with it. I can tell you that it will spice up your hunting.

Page generated in 0.03459 seconds with 8 queries