View Single Post
Old August 1, 2001, 08:29 PM   #16
Jody Hudson

Agreed on the arrows not dropping a deer it's tracks.

My only deer killed with an arrow, I killed with head shots as well.

I have only hunted from a tree stand a couple of times and HATED it for the hunting aspect. However tree stands are one of the best places on earth watch the dawn and rising sun and to have coffee and breakfast.

I preferred stalking, or still hunting, or what ever they call it these days. I call it just sneaking up on the deer (I used to run up on them but this old body won't let me do that any more).

As far as distance with a .22, .38, .45, or .700 magnum express -- I am opposed to most of the "expert" distances quoted. The distance has some relation to penetration and energy of course (still talking head shots here) but the ONLY input for distance shooting that makes sense to me is "how far away can you consistently hit the exact target based on your practice and experience". If you can reliable hit a silver dollar at 50 yards with your .45, one hand standing in timed fire, as my old shooting buddy could... Then certainly 50 yards is not too far. If you can't hit a bull in the butt with from a sand bag at 30 yards with a rifle then you need to get closer and practice more.

Page generated in 0.03363 seconds with 8 queries