View Single Post
Old May 30, 2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Crosshair

Quote:
The Tac-16 is a take apart .223 can. It doesn't have a good reputation for db reduction though.
I have a TAC-16, it may not be top of the line, but its hardly trash. For some like me, the ability to take it apart is a major advantage and worth the performance penalty, making a rebuild easy in case of a baffle strike, especially in light of the Gemtax.

The main complaint is that it frequency shifts the report to a high frequency sound. This makes it louder and less pleasant to the shooter, but it is quieter from a distance as high frequency sounds do not travel as far as low frequency sounds. Other cans do a better job of suppressing the shot to a lower frequency sound, making it more pleasant to the shooter, but more audible over distance. The TAC-16 does a very good job of suppressing, it's just that compared to more modern cans it falls short.

Plenty of people buy 308 cans and shoot 5.56 through it, getting suppression levels similar to the TAC-16.

On the other hand, I would not recommend it for 22 LR use. It is too heavy for the task. I haven't looked at prices of 5.56 cans lately either. When I bought my TAC-16 it made a lot of sense financially, but I don't know if that is still the case. Prices of cans has come way down in the last 5 years or so and performance has significantly increased. What was a good idea 5+ years ago probably isn't today. YMMV

/Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

Page generated in 0.03527 seconds with 8 queries