View Single Post
Old December 3, 2008, 08:18 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Quote:
Mini-14. After about 100 rounds the AR-15 will gunk up and stuff.

Good luck-
Now that is news to me.

I like the Mini, but if you want a weapons system, go AR. Ruger won't sell you firing pins because they want to make sure it's fitted to the gun. Ruger won't sell you a bolt either. That also has to be fitted. By contrast, it's easy to get another firing pin or bolt for an AR. To work on a Ruger, you have to have quite a number of tools and some of them are specialized. There are specialized tools for ARs, but you can buy them anywhere unlike Ruger which restricts the sale of tools (because of liability, they'd rather a factory warranty station work on your gun).

Magazines? Well, you can now get factory 20 rounders, but factory 30 rounders are virtually impossible to get. Not so with the AR and you can pick your brand. Hundred round Beta mags (twin drums) are available for both guns (as are 90 rounders).

The AR is very easy to work on, tools are readily available, barrel changes are easy and changing the configuration is easy too (swap uppers). You can't do that with the Ruger.

If I could only have one, it would be the AR. It's more versatile. By changing the upper, you can have a 22 LR (you also have to have a 22 LR bolt), pistol caliber carbine, varmint rifle, carbine or rifle. You can't do that with an AR.

BTW, the Mini-14 is not as accurate as the AR. Gas-impingment systems like the AR have fewer moving parts and there's fewer things that affect the harmonics of the gun. Not so with the Mini-14 which has a bolt handle that slides up and down the receiver with the bolt.

Page generated in 0.02579 seconds with 8 queries