View Single Post
Old July 19, 2011, 07:39 AM   #5
LDBennett

With Dillon you get a lifetime warrantee that they respect. I have used that warrantee multiple times, even when I was at fault and they would not take my money.

While I am sure the Dillon 650 is a fine press, I think the RL550B is a much better choice. The reason is the 550B does NOT have auto advance. That makes it much easier to use the press as a single stage or turret press. I do this often as any rifle cartridge that needs trimming has to have the cases sized before you can trim them (cases grow with sizing and trimming before sizing will lead to inaccurate and variable overall case length). Some times when making only a few rounds using the press as a turret press makes more sense. But for volume runs the RL550B works as a full progressive very well, indeed.

I had the LEE progressive and it broke every time I used it. I also had the Dillon Square Deal which is for pistol cartridges only and uses special dies. I out grew it in a year but Dillon took at it back for full value and applied that to the Dillon RL550B purchase. I also had a Hornady shotgun progressive press that also was problematical. Hornady brought out a replacement model because my model was so bad. When I asked for some help in updating to the new a supposedly better shotgun press they refused. That was quite a contrast to Dillon's service! I dumped the crummy Hornady press and will buy little from Hornady today.

I'd also mention that the Dillon RL550B has been around for well over 25 years with few updates. The updates they have made they have offered to current owners for free. RCBS and Dillon have during that period searched for the right model and have gone through several models in that same period. Today's RCBS and Hornady progressive presses look very much like Dillon's models. I guess Dillon got it right to start with (??).

LDBennett

Page generated in 0.03268 seconds with 8 queries