View Single Post
Old January 24, 2001, 03:47 PM   #14
Benchrest1000

I've had luck with both, depending on caliber. I use Federal in any case that holds more than about 40 grains of powder as they are a little hotter. Just seems to light the powder up a little more evenly. Federal has a softer cup than, say, Winchester does which, as PoodleShooter stated, would make Winchester or CCI a slightly safer choice for my AR10. I test chambered a few reloads w/Federal 210GM primers yesterday in the backyard. In my AR10, it leaves a very slight indentation in the primer, even with the AR10s spring safety on the firing pin. Oops. Think I'll try some Winchester primers in there. On the other hand, all my magnum bolt gun loads love the Federal primers. It doesnt matter how soft I load for them, those Federals always seem to flatten out like a pancake. The only way I have ever been able to tell which primer is actually 'better' for a specific load/powder is to chronograph it. The smaller Extreme Spread wins for that load. It may not be the same outcome with a different powder. Best of Luck.

Page generated in 0.02532 seconds with 8 queries