View Single Post
Old November 3, 2008, 08:12 PM   #13
T.A.Sharps

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
The rifling on the slugs imparts spin to stabilize the projectile.
Actually this is a common misconception, there is actually no spin imparted on a "rifled" slug, the slug shoots straight out the bore.

A rifled barreled shotgun will get way better accuracy than foster slugs from a smooth bore, you need to test different ammo though to find the ammo it shoots the best, it gets expensive, but once you have it you only need a box or two a season.

The sabot engages the rifling of the bore and tightens on the bullet spinning both as one. The spinning imparts gyroscopic stability on the bullet which is what gives a bullet its accuracy/stability in flight.

A smooth bore foster slug is more like a musket ball, but more accurate since it was designed to be weighted to the nose, and has a hallow base that expands to full bore under the pressure.

The "rifling", or grooves of the foster slug from what I heard is to reduce friction in bore.

I only learned all this about the foster slugs about a year ago myself on these forums. Everyone I have ever known always called them rifled slugs, and assumed it was because it puts a spin on it.

But, I found out through these forums, and extra research, that the assumption was just "Hill Billy Logic".

Page generated in 0.03044 seconds with 8 queries