Thread: FFL
View Single Post
Old September 20, 2008, 10:20 AM   #16
ChicagoTex

Since moving to TX I've bought around half a dozen firearms from dealers, a few prior to my CHL, a few after getting it.

One or the other was always required for purchase. Your Texas Driver's License is proof, issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety, that you are a Texas state resident. To the best of my knowledge you can't use a utility bill or any other nonsense as a substitute. A Texas Concealed Handgun License is further proof, issued by the Texas DPS that you are not only a state resident but fully legally qualified (i.e. not a felon) to own and carry a firearm - per state law presentation of a valid CHL supercedes the need for a federal background check so having one does make buying go a little quicker (though the difference is around, at most, 10 minutes).

You can purchase a firearm from a fellow state resident without going through a federally licensed licensed dealer, but that seller is still legally obligated to see your DPS-issued proof of residency (either a Driver's License or a Concealed Handgun License).

In short: you can't buy a gun in Texas from anyone until you at least get a driver's license.

As to guns you already own from out of state: it is entirely legal for you to personally transport firearms your own from California, Colorado, or anywhere else to your new residence in Texas without saying a word to anyone. In the state of Texas there is no firearm registration so whether the guns are "in your name" or not is entirely irrelavent. All that matters is that you can legally possess a firearm, and that the firearms aren't stolen. (And no, a Texas Driver's License isn't required to possess the firearms you already own, it's just required to buy in Texas).

Page generated in 0.02433 seconds with 8 queries