View Single Post
Old January 17, 2014, 05:47 AM   #34
Mike / Tx

For I would say 98% of my loads I use standard C&C type bullets and have really never had an issue. The other 2% I use Partitions or bonded core bullets simply due to the velocities at which these couple of calibers run.

Most of my hunting is semi stalking where I might slip through the underbrush for 50 - 60 yards at a time and then hold position for 03 minutes to an hour depending on what is going on around me. My other hunting is sitting along side a fence or on the side of a hill overlooking 3-400yd wide open pastures.

No matter what rifle I have with me the load has been dialed in for utmost accuracy. I do not go to the field with one that will not deliver 1" or less, on most occasions due to my own standards. I do not shoot until I have the shot I want no matter the size or quality of animal I am hunting. Just not my bag.

Most of the bullets in my closet are branded Nosler or Remington. With the Nosler's I use the discontinued Solid Base the most but do have a goodly supply of Partitions and a few calibers of the Ballistic Tips. For most other hunting I have found the Remington CL's to do an admirable job if I have done my part. I find they can and do shoot well with a little load work and in my 25-06 AI I find they shoot within 2" or less easily at 300yds and they hit game like the Hammer of Thor. When I shot the first hog with them I figured that the impact sped of over 3000fps was going to result in a massive amount of wasted meat. However I was pleasantly surprised to find a wound track very similar to what I normally see when dressing one out after being hit with my 150gr CL from my .308 at a mild 2650fps load. Since that time I have shot them at 25yds and at 450yds and they all dress out the same. Nice even wound track with the vitals just a big ol mess.

I use the Partitions in my standard 25-06 almost exclusively in the 115gr flavor. They shoot 1/2" out to 200+yds and there is no difference in a 50yd shot or a 300yd shot on a deer with regard to internal damage. They simply work right every time.

I do believe there is a place for the higher dollar premium type bullets, but I would place their use in the magnum class of calibers where your hitting velocities over 3100fps on average. Just about anything from 3000fps and under IMO, will do well with a standard type bullet.

Page generated in 0.03433 seconds with 8 queries