View Single Post
Old February 16, 2010, 01:48 PM   #25
rburch

Quote:
fair enough...As I said, I really don't see the advantage. I think it is more likely that you will inflict meaningful damage with a thrust rather than a cut/slash (and you can always thrust in and rip out for more damage).
Since karambits are all but worthless for thrusting, I feel that they give up too much.
Of course, I also don't really buy into the "bio-mechanical cutting" a.k.a. "defanging the snake" thing that is so often touted by many blade practitioners.
I wouldn't call them worthless, yes they aren't as suited to the thrust, but I can still thrust effectively with a karambit. It's a matter of angling the blade in your hand to present the point first, and then adding a hard flip with your wrist to rotate the blade in.

Really I think the Karambit works really well with the thrust and rip idea.

I am confused by the "bio-mechanical cutting" a.k.a. "defanging the snake" since I haven't heard those terms before. I'm thinking it's attacking the weapon hand?

If that's the case, its a valid target, and really a smart target. I know my first attacks always tend toward the weapon hands, since it's the easiest to attack with the least danger to yourself.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Last edited by rburch; February 18, 2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: spelling error

Page generated in 0.02421 seconds with 8 queries