View Single Post
Old March 30, 2006, 09:22 PM   #17
pickpocket

The stories I hear are all over the map. I've heard horror stories and I've heard stories of disbelief. Before I deployed to Iraq, I decided that I wasn't going with contacts or glasses...so I went to get my eyes fixed!

Personally, I spent over a month with the opthamologist that did my eyes. I went through a battery of tests that determined whether I was a good candidate, what kind of surgery I could have, and a ball-park figure of the eyesight I would have post-surgery.

My mom had gotten Lasik done about 5 years ago and she loved it - with the exception of her decreased night-vision. Halos and star patterns (I forget the technical term) coming off of light sources after dark...headlights, streetlights, etc...

The doc I went to explained that there was a procedure (he called it CustomView) that would help smooth out the imperfections in my eye that caused halos and stars. This was done in addition to the Lasik procedure and required that I took even more tests. They took like a hundred pictures of my eyes to determine whether I was even a candidate for the customeview procedure, and once that was established they used the crazy computers they have to create a 3-D view of my eyes to feed the laser computer for surgery.

The doc gave me the standard "risks" talk, but didn't hesitate when I asked him if he would put his friends or family through it..so that helped. They told me that I'd be lucky if I got 20/20, but that was much better than I had...so off we went.

The surgery was quick and painless...and for you wierdos out there (like me) who always want to watch what's going on....well you see the whole show.

I went in and couldn't see...and by the time I stood up 5 minutes later I could see. The doc said to sleep it off the rest of the day to give the incisions in my eyes time to seal back up...so I slept.

For my one day checkup I was sitting at around 20/20 - SWEET! At my one week checkup I was at 20/15 - even SWEETER!
The awesome part is that by my one month checkup - I was 20/10!!!! And that's where I've been for two years. It was - by FAR - the best money I've ever spent. Oh, and I have minimal halos and zero star patterns at night. The extra procedure cost about $500, but was totally worth it.

This guy's in Houston, so won't be much use to many of you - but he's AWESOME. And, the website has tons of useful info.

http://www.doclipsky.com

He does military at cost, too...so even better! Every little bit helps!

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"

Page generated in 0.02647 seconds with 8 queries