View Single Post
Old August 15, 2013, 11:08 AM   #23
DPris
Member Emeritus

Hammie,
The potential for locking a case rim ahead of the extractor star exists with any rimmed revolver round in any swing-out/punch-em-out revolver.
I HAVE had it happen with a couple .38s in years gone by, when handled carelessly & lazily (trying to get the empties out without having to pick 'em up off the ground).

My background with DA revolvers goes back four decades, and my approach to extraction/ejection is from law enforcement training.
If you hold the gun with muzzle straight up & PUNCH that ejector rod straight down, you'll have to work very hard to end up with even a .45 Colt case rim inside the extractor star.

If you hold the gun parallel to the ground (or some shallow angle there-of) & fiddle it half-heartedly using the old-fashioned (and inefficient) thumb-on-the-rod method, you can stick a case inside the star on just about any caliber.

You quote Gun Test Magazine as an authority????
Geeze, guy.

"We would push on the ejector but the cases would not fall free."
Those people quite often have no conception of real life gun use in doing their evaluations and deriving their distorted conclusions.

They rejected the Redhawk because it resisted rapid fire and a speedy reload??????????
Do you have any idea how utterly brain dead that entire quote is?
It transcends idiocy and elevates it to new levels of sublime absurdity.

The concept & practice of punching the rod with the muzzle up was developed specifically to maximize ejection reliability in DA swingout revolvers, and it was widely taught to police beginning in the late 1970s/early 1980s, till autos took over.

You don't "push" the rod & expect brass to "fall out".
You want to do a quick & reliable reload?
PUNCH THE EMPTIES OUT, don't "push" them halfway & stand there dumfounded if they don't all drop clear.

I can duplicate a case inside the star jam with a gun with oversized chambers, and/or dirty chambers, in ANY revolver caliber. The .357 and .44 Mag revolvers I have will frequently hang one or more cases up if the rod's merely "pushed" slowly.
You NEVER count on empties dropping out, that's why ejectors were included with the guns at no extra charge, and that's why you use them aggressively.

Several guys on my PD carried the .45 Colt Model 25, right up till the Glock replaced revolvers in 1988.
I was a firearms instructor for several of those years.
Using the right technique, zero problems with extraction/ejection.
I can't recall anybody tying up the line or calling an alibi with a .45 Colt case lodged ahead of the star.

It's not a matter of "mitigating" a non-existent "problem", it's simply a matter of using the right technique across the board.

When our chief put out a memo with a cutoff date to transition to the new Glocks, I carried my 25-5 right down to the last shift before the "Show up with that gun tomorrow & be fired" deadline. I would have happily carried it till the day I retired, if they'd allowed it.

I never had the slightest concern over ejection or reloading.
Denis

Page generated in 0.03256 seconds with 8 queries