View Single Post
Old March 28, 2006, 05:58 PM   #13
cgraham

Clearing the home

In such scenarios one usually sees the advice not to attempt to clear the home, but call 911 instead. The reason is that you moving are much more vulnerable than a BG who hears you and lies in wait.

You are fortunate that you are on the ground floor and could presumaby have let LE in by the window. On a higher floor you would have had a real problem with a solidly barred door (you can't just toss them the keys). You have to walk throught the danger zone to unbar it: if I were a BG I would take you hostage to fend off the LEOs.

I don't have an answer for that problem: maybe someone else does.

I know one can feel pretty silly after having called LE to a false alarm. I once thought I heard someone inside my home upon returning. I was particularly concerned because there was a high power rifle in there. I call, a cop shows up, and I unlock the door and he wants me to go in first (unarmed)! I told him "you have the gun, you first!" (I was thinking AND the badge AND the experience).

I did feel silly afterwards, but I hadn't taken any unnecessary risks, which was some consolation.

C

Page generated in 0.03784 seconds with 8 queries