View Single Post
Old March 28, 2005, 02:07 PM   #17
DmL5

Quote:
So why is the 5.7 supposed to be superior to, say, the 7.62x25 Tokarev?
CZ-52? Ballistically, the 5.7 SS-190 pierces vests much better and the SS-192 pierces a little better, and yes, I'm talking about from a 5.7 pistol, not P90. Terminal ballistically, I'm not sure which of the two would be more effective. I do know that the 5.7 would create a larger permanent cavity due to the behavior mentioned earlier.

The CZ-52 also only has 40% of the Five-seveN's capacity (8 rds vs. 20 rds.) and its also heavier.

Quote:
From reading the threads it seems that the significant advantage for the 5.7 is that you can fire a "burst" into your enemy and down him.
90% of the shootings involved one round and the others involved a couple rounds. So yes, bursts are possible, but not required to kill with it.

Quote:
Not the total killed, but the total number of people hit with the 5.7?
The total number hit.

Quote:
Very few people survive being hit in the chest by a 5.56
You're comparing a rifle round fired from a rifle to a sub-rifle round fired from a pistol. The terminal ballistics of the 5.7 were never meant (or said) to be better from a pistol than a rifle round from a rifle.

Quote:
Here we have the 5.7 with people appearing to claim 100% one-shot lethality from thoractic hits but saying it works best when firing bursts.
Yes. 100% lethality according to a tactical operator. Those against the round say that bursts are the only way to achieve effectiveness with the 5.7mm. Real-life shootings so far have said otherwise. Those are the two sides you're hearing.

Quote:
I'm just trying to get a grip on what the role of this gun should be and why its supposed to be superior to similar calibers.
Posted earlier: My opinion on the wounding ability of the 5.7 is that it is on par with other pistol calibers. However, the weapons themselves offer many advantages: lightweight, low recoil, almost no overpenetration, high capacity, and still have reasonable ergonomics.

-DmL

Page generated in 0.05661 seconds with 8 queries