View Single Post
Old June 1, 2022, 08:59 AM   #134
HiBC

When the question of handloads versus factory loads for self defense came up in this thread, I suggested using "search" to catch up on the long and in depth threads that had already gone very deep into the topic. Its kind of like "headspace". It does not need to be done over. The uninformed might spend the effort to catch up

I'll put out the standard disclaimer. I'm not a lawyer. Do not take this as legal advice.

There is nothing unlawful (as far as I know) about carrying handloads for SD.
In general, the preferred , first choice factory loads are designed to produce trauma. Thats how they disable the threat.

Whether you use Keith SWC's, Double ended wadcutters, or Lee Jurras swaged half jackets, law enforcement and the District Attorney don't have any legit complaint.

Its unlikely your handload "kills deader" than whatever factory load your local sheriff carries.

The argument about the lethality of factory loads versus handloads or the mindset of the handloader is silly. Its a red herring that completely misses the point of why factory loads are preferred.
So is the argument about quality. Handloads can be superb quality. Sure there can be crap handloads. But once again,it completely misses the point of why factory loads are preferred. We don't need to discuss the quality of your handloads.

Ready? OK,here is the reason. If you are involved in a SD shooting death,you essentially confess to a homicide. Now you provide evidence the homicide was justified.
Ballistic forensic evidence might be critical to your defense. Maybe there are no witnesses. All you have is a dead body and a story.

Ballistic evidence can add credibility to your story. Gun shot residue,for example.

A police forensic lab or defense firearms expert can go buy the same factory load that was in your gun and conduct tests that will be admissible as evidence.

You won't be able to get admissible evidence from handloads. The lab can't go buy your handloads to test.

That is the issue. Carry handloads and you give up ballistic forensic evidence as an element of your defense.

With that in mind, carry whatever ammo you want. I prefer factory loads for carry.
Other than rimfire ammo and self defense ammo, I just don't buy factory loads. I buy virgin or once fired brass and shoot the same, consistent ammo regardless of what is on the shelf. I've been handloading since the late 1960's. I've had some practice. I do not lack confidence in my handloads.

Page generated in 0.02442 seconds with 8 queries