View Single Post
Old June 8, 2012, 11:17 PM   #8
F. Guffey

A shell holder is a shell holder, except? Here. When forming cases for short chambers, Lee is my favorite, the RCBS shell holder allows me to gain .012 thousandths length under minimum length/full length sizing, that is .017 shorter than a go-gage length chamber, the lee is ‘more loose’ I can gain an additional .003 thousandths, has not happened to me ‘yet’ but reloaders have have pulled the top of Lee dies off when lowering the ram on stuck cases.

Back in the days when a shell holder was required on some case trimmers, automatic primers and presses, it took time to move the shell holder from the press to the trimmer to the automatic primer, 9 shell holders from Lee for just over $1.00 each saved a lot of time.

Then there are shell holders from Herters, a different kind of shell holders, if is was not for RCBS shell holders I would be out of business but in there own way the Herters shell holder was unique.

Then there are Redding competition shell holders, anything that can be accomplished with the Redding, I can accomplish with a RCBS shell holder when used with the companion tool to the press, the feeler gage, difference? I have 12 options between .000 and .012 thousandths, the Redding has 5 between .000 and .010 thousandths, + I can form cases for short chambers all with the same shell holder, I am the fan of getting all the use/money investment out of my tools, 5 shell holders for $40.00 from Redding, 1 shell holder from RCBS $5.00 + or – $3.00, feeler gage? $11.00.

Then there is RCBS and 4 different designs, my old shell holders from RCBS will not fit some of the new equipment, I enjoy going to gun shows, some of the dealers act as though they want me to have this stuff when making me a deal.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02804 seconds with 8 queries