View Single Post
Old September 20, 2010, 12:42 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I have what is probably a "stupid question" but then what's new about that? I admire all of you guys who are scientific about using a chrono, checking fps, and all of those things - without your efforts and info, improvements, etc. wouldn't happen. So . . . I'm not being a smart A _ _ when I simply state that I've just never worried about things like that - I shoot to shoot - to "throw lead" and see how close I can come to the bullseye, tin can or if I can possibly ring the "gong". I've just never been concerned about such things but I do admire and appreciate those of you that are.

I'm just curios . . . . I've never given it much thought . . . just when did the scientific study of such things as bullet speed, etc. come into existence? I'm sure that it has always been there, but, what DID they do back "in the day" - say the 1860s to check on such things? How was it tested? I'm sure that the computer age has made it much easier and with the advances in technology, the price has come down where most shooters could own and use a chrono if they want to. As I said, I'm not of a "scientific mind", but I am assuming that the use of such a device helps you to adjust your load, especially in a cartridge, to impove your target score and given distances. Everyone is interested in improving such things. I have done a lot of roundball rifle shooting and of course, I would adjust and play with the number of grains of powder to improve on my ability to hit the target - but - I also have always depended a lot on really "knowing" my rifle and using "Kentucky windage" to compensate for certain conditions.

Doc - I know that you do a lot of shooting and as a part of that, using your chrono is an important part of it. A sort of "which came first, the egg or the chicken" question . . . do you (or others) use the chrono because you are attempting to "zero in" your target hits . . . or . . . do you use your chrono because you are attempting to work up a load that meets a certain fps? I've never had anyone explain it to me and I'm just curious. Maybe you could explain why it is important to use one? I've never understood physics that well and I am wondering after reading a number of posts on the chrono - is there a reason to achieve a certain fps? I mean . . . if you have a load that allows you to hit a target at a given distance, does it matter whether the bullet is traveling at say . . . 900 fps instead of 750 fps? In my simplistic way of looking at it, I'm assuming that the higher fps the projectile travels, the greater penetration on the target or "kill advantage" as opposed to a slower moving projectile. I'm also assuming that the higher the speed, the flatter the trajectory of the projectile. What I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around is if you are shooting targets at a specific range and you know how your weapon shoots with a certain load (say 22 grains of FFG), regardless of the fps, it should be fairly consistant with the same load each time (ruling out fouling, etc.). Idealy, when you learn how your pistol shoots, you should be fairly consistant with your hits - regardless of the fps, the major factor is that the muzzle is pointed at the right spot for how that load shoots.

I'm hoing that you can shed some light on some of my questions and/or comments and feel free to "shoot holes" in my assumptions. Again, I'm not poking the bear for those that get scientific with the chrono studies, etc. - I'd just like to understand the use of one better and the whats and whys of them. I don't know if I would ever use one very much but maybe there is something I have been missing out on by not having one. Many thanks for any info or explaining that you can do on it - it is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Bedbug
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03461 seconds with 8 queries