Thread: Lube question
View Single Post
Old October 29, 2013, 11:55 AM   #11
CS86

fellas, it kind of has me baffled too. I don't have data in front of me but here is what I remember. I'm shooting 230gr .45acp Lee tumble designed slugs, which is an easy lead throwing caliber. I was originally trying out of a .45acp 1911 and found the issue was an oval barrel that needed larger boolits. That gun has bee sold and replaced with a .357 mag. Then I tried out of a .45acp. XDS that has a short throat but a nicely finished barrel and came out completely round. It's been awhile but if memory serves me correct it was a hair under .4500 like .4498.

Most times I have slugs dropping at .452-.453 with wheel weights. Normally using 5.4gr of W231 I think... Testing involved air cooled, water dropped, sized to .452 and Unsized. Coating has been as described: light, heavier, dipped of 45-45-10. The heavy tumble left lead toward the end of the barrel. I've checked that I haven't taper crimped (as a separate step) to heavy and swaged the slug. The thing that I've found doesn't leave leading is either dipping with 45-45-10 or dipping another lube that consists of bees wax, Vaseline, JPW, and paraffin that turned out way to soft so I tried dipping with it. It worked good but dipping and using a cutter was to much time and messy.

The only other thing I could think of is if I mixed the 45-45-10 with to much mineral spirits and it may be to thin, but I have my doubts.

Page generated in 0.03687 seconds with 8 queries