Thread: AR optics
View Single Post
Old September 16, 2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Justice06RR

The best balance IMO is a 1-4x RDS or ACOG-type scope. You still have the capability of magnification, but also the benefit of close range shooting. I'm not sure about your budget, but Trijicon ACOG's are the best in the business although they are pricey. I'm sure there are many other brands out there (i'm not too familiar with all of them) so just look around. The key thing is whatever you get to make sure you have a true 1X on the low end. Some 1-4x optics I heard are not true 1X, but more like 1.5X. Something to keep in mind if you go with a lower end brand.

The 3-9x Scope is another good 2nd option, but remove the carry handle and mount it directly on the rail with the proper scope mount. With the 3-9x scope the FSP will disappear. I have a nice Bushnell Banner 3-9x and I don't see the front A2 sight even at the lowest magnification. This is a great choice if you add a low-profile rear BUIS like Magpul. Just remember that 3-9x scopes are usually long, but I don't mind it with my AR. Plus you can always change/remove it if needed.

In the end, You really need to figure out what you like the most and what best fits your purposes. Most setups allow you to do more than one, but IMO a plain RDS will be hard to use on long-range shots over 100yards. For long range shooting, I always swap out my RDS with a 6x32 or 3-9x40 Scope. (I have multiple scopes so its easy to swap them out based on your needs).

Page generated in 0.02208 seconds with 8 queries