View Single Post
Old March 1, 2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, the Model 11 is oneheckovagun. Like it's A5 cousin, it lasts longer than a bad reputation and works under any conditions.

Turning this into a SBS kinda bothers me, and not just because I'm not a SBS fan. This especially applies if it was owned and operated by anyone who contributed DNA to your personal gene pool. IOW, a family gun. It's an heirloom, not a opportunity.

These are GREAT shooters.

If you shorten that stock extensively, the recoil spring and carrier doodad will punch a neat hole in your shoulder. Take the stock off and you'll see.

That ring bulge probably comes from firing off a steel load in a barrel not built for steel shot. A flagon of mead says the ring is right where the choke taper starts.

In your shoes, I'd....

Get a set of new friction rings and springs and install them. This rebuilds almost all old 11s so they can be used with modern loads.

Have a decent smith cut the barrel right behind the ring and install a bead sight.

Next, you can decide to have this as a Cylinder bore gun, accepting the limits of range and pattern. Or, you can have the smith install choke tubes, and have a much more versatile shotgun.

NOTE:

Long recoil actions that have the barrel bobbed way back tend to batter the internals. A certain amount of weight is needed in the barrel to keep things in balance.

HTH....

Page generated in 0.03134 seconds with 8 queries