View Single Post
Old June 27, 2013, 02:29 PM   #18
9mmfan

What these guys said...

I am just getting started myself, though I had been picking up stuff piecemeal (sort of) for a year or so before the "panic" hit. I started with "The ABC's of Reloading" then picked up a Lyman manual, as well as one from Hornady. Never hurts to have more than one, and the Hornady had Garand specific data.

As far as equipment, got a Lee Classic Turret kit with .45 Colt carbide dies from Kempf Gun Shop. Opted for the Pro Auto Disk upgrade.

The turret setup is nice, because you can remove the auto-indexing rod and use the press as single stage until you get comfortable. Easier to turn the turret by hand than change dies as well.

Added an RCBS 505 scale, Frankford Arsenal digital calipers, extra turret, some Lee dies for .38 spl. and a bullet puller.

Got powder, bullets and primers from gun shows and a reloading shop that was not too far from where I used to live. Local is where it's at for me, as I'm not getting enough at a time to deal with hazmat fees. Brass I had been saving up from shooting factory, and some reloads that were thrown in with my Rossi 92 (see bullet puller above, not shooting unknown reloads).

I'm cutting my teeth on straight walled pistol (okay, okay, revolver) cartridges to get the hang of it, before moving on to .30-06 for my M1. Bought a used set of RCBS dies from a member on another forum. That's gonna open a whole new can o' worms, as I'll need a case trimmer, lube paraphernalia, possibly a case gauge and a primer pocket swager. The last is due to the fact that the majority of my brass is going to be after I shoot up the HXP I got from the CMP. Crimped primers, don'tcha know. Already got a case chamfer tool. On my way!

Lastly, I would also recommend finding a mentor if possible. I am going it alone, except for the helpful folk on this and a couple other forums, and would be more confident with a seasoned vet looking over my shoulder. Either way, take your time, read ALL the directions and don't get ahead of yourself. It's easy to do.

Also,this.

Last edited by 9mmfan; June 27, 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added some links.

Page generated in 0.03560 seconds with 8 queries