View Single Post
Old August 13, 2011, 05:44 AM   #14
jephthai

The issue I have with your example is that you invoke magic. Now physics don't apply and we're not talking about the real world. Another of Newton's laws states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless a force acts upon it. This applies to a stationary object as well (zero motion). To move the bullet, a force must act upon it. In other words, the bullet cannot magically move down the barrel on its own.

Physics is physics, and if anything acts on another thing to move it, it will itself, in turn move in the oppositee direction. The pressure presses against the chamber and bore just as it does the bullet. When the gun and bullet separate, how do we measure this equal and opposite force (forward on bullet, rearward on gun)? The magic of physics, or the genius of Newton, we find that these forces can be discussed in terms od energy and momentum.

As I stated, the jet effect of the gas counts, but its effect is equal to the gas's mass times its velocity -- it's small. The mass of the bullet doesn't CAUSE the recoil -- it happens that the forces involved result in recoil that can be calculated using the m x v of the bullet, because physics works.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.03078 seconds with 8 queries