View Single Post
Old May 11, 2013, 10:33 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

JB weld in "Four Winds" shotgun

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show....php?p=3956200
I ran a google search and that thread came up. I am thinking of replacing the wood dowel spacer on a "four winds" shotgun with a JB weld spacer. In order to easily adjust the firing pin I will need to remove the large tube from the end cap, so I will be trying to coat most of the other parts in a release agent. Kiwi shoe polish is available to me for free, so that is what I was planning to try.
My plan is to
1. coat the entire endcap, firing pin bolt, and end of 1 inch tube barrel with release agent
2. Install firing pin bolt
3.Mix JB weld
4.Fill endcap with JB weld
5. Install 1 inch tube in endcap.

Once the epoxy sets I whould be able to remove the 1 inh tube, firing pin and with minimal difficulty possibly even the plug. I will then make adjustments to the plug so it is flush with the end cap and file the firing pin bolt so it extends the correct amount.

The problem I foresee is that while screwing in the threaded components some release agent will be removed. I can re-coat the exposed portion of the firing pin, but not the 1 inch tube.

My main concern is mentioned in the previous thread. The max temp is 600* for JB Weld. Now, in this case none of the metal is heat treated, so I imagine this is of no concern.

To beat some obvious off topic replies:
1. This will be tested at a remote location using the "long string" method with a number of barriers between myself and the gun and one overhead for falling debris should there be a catastrophic failure. I will likely never fire it from my hand or anyone else's.
2.I know the laws in my area concerning a short barreled shotgun and will be using a 3/4 inch pipe that far exceeds the minimum length requirements. I may take it to an open carry event though.
3. The article has a lot of stupidity involving conjecture of how the shotgun will be used. I posted the link for the graphic only as it is the best I have found.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; May 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Page generated in 0.02740 seconds with 8 queries